Friday, February 11, 2011

We're tired of speed bumps already...

Friends and Family,

Beau learned today that the "infection" in his shoulder was actually more cancer. I'm not sure exactly where it was or how much of it there was but Dr. Frankle was able to cut much of it out during Beau's surgery, which should help with the pain.

For the past few months, Beau has been undergoing alternative treatments for cancer up in NC and he is going to continue on that route. The fact of the matter is that chemo just doesn't work on Beau's type of cancer. It didn't work the first time and he hasn't been given any indication...even by M.D. Anderson... that it could do more than give him extra time...but not a cure. That being said, Beau is currently trying to get an appointment with a doctor in New York who is doing incredible things with cancer patients and alternative medicine. Jessica has spoken to a woman with synovial sarcoma who is under this doctor's care and was very encouraged by what she had to say about her response to the treatments.

For the time being, the doctors in Tampa recommended that Beau receive palliative care to manage the pain caused by the tumor and the surgery. He's being fitted with a pain pump and hopefully when the pain from the surgery wears off, he will be able to wean himself off of the pump. He should be getting out of the hospital today.

As most of you would expect, this setback hasn't seemed to slow Beau down! He will be staying in Florida through next weekend and going to some of the Speedweeks events in Daytona including the Daytona 500.

Please pray for strength for Beau as he faces this ordeal head-on...and pray for Jessica as she faces it with him.

Thank you Randy, Anne and Jason Tidwell for giving Beau and Jessica a place to stay in Daytona. Thank you David Prim for EVERYTHING you have done for Beau...there are no words. Thank you to our amazing friends and family for supporting Beau through this. He needs the prayers and support now more than ever.


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2nd Surgery Updates

Beau went in for surgery in Tampa on Monday to fix what the doctor thought was a misalignment that was causing swelling and pain in his shoulder. When the doctor got in there, he discovered a good bit of infection. He cleaned it up as much as possible, replaced some parts and closed Beau back up to begin fighting the infection. Beau will be on some strong IV antibiotics for a while but they can be administered at home so he won't have to remain in the hospital for that. He's doing really well so far. He's been up and walking around every few hours and Buster says he's in good spirits.

Beau could get out of the hospital as early as tomorrow and he will be staying down in Florida for a couple of weeks. Thanks to Jason, Randy and Anne Tidwell, he's going to be able to stay in Daytona between doctors visits and get his antibiotics at their house without having to go in to the hospital. He will have to go to Tampa sometime next week to have his stitches removed and then again at the 6-week mark for a follow-up appointment.

I had mentioned in an earlier email that he would have to have surgery again to totally fix his shoulder but that isn't necessarily true. They will wait until he has healed up and been through some rehab to decide if they are satisfied with his mobility. Another surgery might not be necessary so that is a good thing. Sometimes things get lost in text message translation so I'm sorry for the confusion about all that :)

Thanks for all of the prayers and support that have been directed at Beau, Jessica and our family throughout this whole ordeal. We have the greatest family and friends that anyone could ask for and are so grateful for each of you.

I will update more when I hear anything new!